Today I want to tell you about 26 things I am thankful for… in no particular order.
1. I am thankful for air conditioning so powerful that I need to wear my comfy sweater at work.
2. For friendship bracelets.
3. More importantly, for friends. The kind that inspire me to live life better and give love better.
4. For that feeling you get in the movie theater when the lights go down.
5. For rainy days, where everything smells like dirt, but in the best way.
6. For family. In particular, my family, who has always surrounded me with love without ruining me with it.
7. For books that transport me, and make me laugh and cry and want to do completely crazy things.
8. I’m thankful for this new shirt I got today that plays sound effects. I’m sure my brother already regrets getting it for me, but I’ve been walking around for the past hour to applause. And I finally have my own laugh track.
9. I’m thankful for a job that doesn’t make me feel like my soul is sucked out of me. In fact, when my job is busy and I’m needed, my job makes me feel like more of myself. And that is a rare and wonderful blessing.
10. I’m thankful for the time to get to know my junior high small group, and the trust they give me even when I’m too tired to think I deserve it.
11. For ice cream.
12. For early mornings when the light slants just right.
13. For deep cups of coffee.
14. For puppies.
15. I’m thankful for long-distance friends. If someone loves you enough to stick with you across state lines, they’re a keeper.
16. For NPR, and the way it makes the news fascinating, and how it celebrates the power of stories.
17. For Hollins, and this summer, and all of the glorious people I met there.
18. For tea: hot and iced and dark and green and peach and cinnamon. Just not all at once.
19. For the genius that is John Green. Just finished Will Grayson Will Grayson again today and can barely function.
20. For movie marathons and popcorn.
21. I’m thankful for the enduring comfort of pajama pants, and only wish they were socially acceptable to wear out.
22. For letters and emails and text messages; “checking in” and “thinking of you,” for moments of shared humor shared experience and shared life.
23. For superheroes, living and imaginary.
24. For the power and influence of community in my life, and for how Willow has helped me build that and celebrate it.
25. For health insurance.
26. For the unimaginable and incomprehensible blessing of living on this earth, loved by all of you, for 26 most beautiful years.